There's nothing quite like the aroma of freshly baked goods wafting through the air, especially when it's a batch of homemade Sourdough English Muffins. These delectable treats combine the tangy goodness of sourdough with the comforting familiarity of English muffins. The best part? They're incredibly easy to make, even for those new to the world of sourdough baking. So, roll up your sleeves, dust off your rolling pin, and let's dive into the delightful journey of crafting your very own Easy Sourdough English Muffins!
Ingredients You'll Need:
- 100 g active sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 360 g all-purpose flour
- 5g salt
- ¼ cup cornmeal or semolina for sprinkling
1. Mix and Knead: In a mixing bowl, add sourdough starter, milk, sugar and salt, stir with dough whisk to combine. Add flour and mix until a dough forms. Turn out onto bench top and knead for 5 minutes, adding a little bit more flour if it’s too sticky.
- First Proof: Place the kneaded dough back into the mixing bowl. Cover it with a lid or plastic wrap to prevent drying, and let it proof at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours, preferably overnight. During this time, the magic of sourdough fermentation will work its wonders, giving your muffins their characteristic flavour and texture.
- Shape and Second Proof: When you wake up the next morning, your dough should have risen beautifully. Gently turn it out onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Press it out into a thickness of about 1 inch. Using a round cookie cutter or even the rim of a glass, cut out 6 circles from the dough. Sprinkle a tray with cornmeal or semolina, and place the rounds onto the tray. Sprinkle a bit more cornmeal on top of the muffins. Cover them with a clean tea towel and allow them to rise for approximately 1 hour at room temperature.
- Cook to Perfection: Preheat a frying pan or skillet over medium-low heat. Once it's heated, carefully add your muffins to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let the muffins cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Use a spatula or egg flip to flip the muffins over. You'll know they're ready when the bottoms turn a delightful golden colour.
5. Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor: Allow your freshly cooked Sourdough English Muffins to cool completely before slicing them open. The anticipation is worth it, as you'll be rewarded with the perfect nooks and crannies for your favorite spreads to settle into. Toast the muffins to your preferred level of crispiness and serve them up with a dollop of butter, a smear of jam, or even as the base for a luxurious Eggs Benedict.
With this straight-forward recipe, you'll be amazed at how effortlessly you can whip up a batch of Easy Sourdough English Muffins that rival those from a bakery. The touch of sourdough tang combined with the satisfying chew of an English muffin makes for a delightful breakfast or brunch option that's sure to become a staple in your kitchen. So, don your apron and get ready to savour the joy of creating these mouthwatering treats from scratch!